Jay Leno Hospitalized Following Fire in his Garage
Former Tonight Show host Jay Leno is recovering from serious facial burns at the Grossman Burn Center in Los Angeles after a car in the late night legend’s famous collection unexpectedly burst into flames while the comedian was working in his L.A. garage on Sunday.
Leno was scheduled to perform at a financial conference in Las Vegas yesterday, but attendees were notified via email that the 72 year-old comedian and television host would miss the evening’s festivities due to “a very serious medical emergency.” The details of the incident were reported by TMZ this morning, and all of Leno’s upcoming engagements and appearances have been canceled or postponed.
The comedy icon told NBC News, “I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.” The burns reportedly covered the left side of the comic’s face, but neither his eye nor ear were seriously damaged.
Jay Leno is one of the comedy world’s greatest gearheads, boasting a collection of over 180 exotic cars, unique vehicles, and “museum-grade” artifacts from automobile history. Leno hosts a web series called Jay Leno's Garage which explores some of the most unique pieces that the late night legend has encountered during his many decades as an automobile enthusiast. No details have yet been released regarding what may have caused the car to burst into flames yesterday, nor the extent of the damage to Leno’s collection.
Conan O’Brien’s whereabouts remain unknown. Get well soon, Jay.