If 37 percent of the Internet is porn, then the other 63 percent must be people complaining about stuff. A movie that disappointed; a game that's taking too long to come out; George Lucas.
Well, sometimes the companies or creators will actually address their fans and say, "You think you could do better than us?" And sometimes the fans will answer back, "Um, actually, yeah."
Star Wars Fan Remaster Looks Better Than the Real Thing
Unless you still have a working VCR, the only way to watch the original, theatrical versions of Star Wars is buying the out-of-print 2006 DVD box set, which insultingly comes with the original movies as mere bonus features on a separate disk (meaning, you had to pay for the Special Editions to get them). Also, they are in unremastered, shitty-picture-quality form, as part of George Lucas' punishment to fans for asking for them.
But what else are fans supposed to do? Edit their own trilogy?
How the Fans Made It Better:
A fan from the U.K. named Adywan did that and much more. He spent years painstakingly restoring and enhancing every frame of the first Star Wars movie, doing what fans wanted Lucas to do in the first place: clean up and restore the film without adding a bunch of blinking Ewoks. He's currently doing the same to The Empire Strikes Back.
The result is called Star Wars Revisited, and not only does it revert many of the changes made by the Special Editions, but also its picture quality puts the official DVDs and even the Blu-rays to shame.
Hmm. Good, but it could use 30 or 40 useless dancing robots.
Adywan's website lists over 250 changes to the first movie alone, including fixing mistakes that Lucas apparently didn't notice, like making sure the opening titles actually synch up with John Williams' music ...
ANHR Visual Comparison