"Imagine yourself in your normal day. Maybe you are at school, or at work, or even in a mall. And then you start hearing screaming and gun shots coming from right outside the door of the room where you are seated. Or right next to you on the right, if you are in an open area. Don't tell anyone they shouldn't have panicked, because I guarantee 90 percent of you would have done the same thing," she says. And we estimate that the other 10 percent would probably try strategically soiling themselves, in the hopes that the terrorists would turn away in disgust.
Life Goes On, Somehow ...
After the attack, eight university staff members offered to resign, and the family of Esther Kidambi filed a lawsuit against the school. But most of the students just wanted things to get back to normal ...
Instant ramen would never taste the same again.
"I began to contemplate the meaning of this," Diana says. "What would happen to everyone who was affected? What would happen to me? What did this say about my school, my country, and my continent? This was a big deal for me, because my whole thing is this project that I carry out, telling people about the many ways in which they are mistaken about the image and stereotypes they hold about Africa. ... The university management called a meeting the next day to explain to the students what happened and take responsibility for what happened. They have undertaken to pay for all medical expenses and provide counseling."
Which was actually a surprisingly stand-up move. You don't expect the same people who thought pretending to shoot at students was a good idea to also embrace personal responsibility. That doesn't mean it's over, though: "There's a lot of sadness, anger, and some anxiety. People have developed genuine security concerns. A few months after this incident, there was a bit of an accident on the first floor. We just heard someone shouting from downstairs, but the wide-eyed, wild-look panic clearly showed what everyone thought it was at first. We were all ready to run/jump off ledges. ... Many people still have not come back to school. ... Despite all this, people are genuinely trying to move on. There's a sense of 'we can get past this' in the air. The anger is mostly directed at the administration, but toward each other, people are still very warm."
Especially when it comes to imagining ways for heavy things to hit the administrators in the crotch.
Diana Achieng's book What It Means To Be African is about how thoroughly misled you are on the real Africa. Find her website here, or follow her on Instagram. Cezary Jan Strusiewicz is a Cracked columnist, interviewer, and editor. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a story to share with Cracked? Email us here.
For more insider perspectives, check out 5 Ways Things Change When Accused Of A School Shooting Plot and 5 Realities Of Mass Shootings Movies Don't Prepare You For.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, and check out How Gun Control Made Australia Safer Than America, and other videos you won't see on the site!
Also, follow us on Facebook, and we'll follow you everywhere.