Use this handy guide to avoid posting a Lamebook-worthy status update!
Just The Facts
- Status updates can be useful.
- Some people just don't get how to use them.
- Use this guide to help you!
Should You Post That Status Update?
The status update. The Tweet. By whatever name the latest social networking site calls it, it's how we all keep one another informed about what we're doing.
Unfortunately, some people just don't seem to understand the process and post updates that are completely inane or wildly inappropriate.
If you suspect that you might be such a person, we're here to help you out. The next time you have a potential comment you'd like to post, just follow these simple steps:
First, read through each criterion below, and score points as noted. Then, tally up your results. If your final score is above 0 points, post away! If it is below 0 points, you might want to go ahead and rethink the comment.
OK, here we go:
1. The comment has something to do with a stroke of luck you just had: +2 points
2. The comment has something to do with a stroke of genius you just had: +10 points
3. The comment has something to do with a stroke you just had: +30 points
4a. The comment has something to do with your last medical visit: +3 points
4b. Your last medical visit was to a proctologist or gynecologist: -10 points
5a. The comment has something to do with a bodily function: -5 points
5b. Your last bodily function was performed accidentally: -10 points
5c. Your last bodily function was performed accidentally and publicly: -20 points
5d. Your last bodily function was that you crapped out a solid gold goose egg: +100 points
6a. The comment is a description of the last meal you had: -2 points
6b. Your last meal led to an accidental and public performance of a bodily function: -15 points
6c. Your last meal led to an accidental and public performance of a bodily function, and you are posting this as a warning to others: +10 points (if you can live without your dignity)
7. -2 points for each previous update you've already posted in the past half hour
8. -2 points for each drink you've had in the past three hours
9a. The comment is directed at one specific person only: +0 points
9b. The comment is directed at one specific person with whom you are angry, and with whom you have not confronted regarding your feelings: -10 points
10a. The comment has something to do with unrequited love: +1 point
10b. Your unrequited love has a significant other: -3 points
10c. Your unrequited love has a significant other who is on your friends list: -20 points
11a. The comment is a pronouncement of your undying love for your special One: +5
11b. You've known your special One less than two hours: -10 points
12a. The comment is an announcement of your recent engagement: -1 point
12b. Your future father-in-law is pointing a shotgun at your head as you type the announcement of your engagement: +30 points
13. The comment is an announcement of your recent breakup: +1 point
14. The comment is an announcement to your significant other with whom you're breaking up: -5 points
15. The comment is an announcement of your promotion at work: +10 points
16. The comment is an announcement of your promotion to Godfather in Mafia Wars: -10 points
17a. The comment is an announcement that you're going to have a baby: +5 points
17b. The father-to-be has not yet been informed of his impending fatherhood: -20 points
18. You know the difference between the following pairs of words: +1 point for each pair
- "your" and "you're"
- "its" and "it's"
- "their," "there" and "they're"
- "lose" and "loose"
- "choose" and "chose"
19. The comment includes the words "lol" or "lmao": -1 point for each instance
20. Your mother is on your Facebook: -3 points
21. Your high school teacher is on your Facebook, you are still in high school and your comment has to do with any one of the following topics:
- Cheating on a test: -5 points
- Ditching school: -5 points
- Drinking alcohol: -10 points
- Smoking pot: -10 points
- Your secret crush on your high school teacher: -20 points
So, how did you do? Can we expect to get a witty, insightful, clever, intelligent, meaningful and appropriate status update from you anytime soon? Or is your comment only going to end up on Lamebook?
Check out Dennis's musings on dating and relationships here.